Sciatica Care from Our Pensacola Chiropractor
At Stern Chiropractic Clinic, our Pensacola chiropractor works with hundreds of individuals from Western Florida dealing with the uncomfortable symptoms related to this condition. If you are concerned, we're happy to get you started on a personalized chiropractic care plan.
What Is Sciatica?
Sciatica is caused by compression of the sciatic nerve. Generally speaking, sciatica develops when something pinches one of the sciatic nerve endings or roots in your lower back. That "something" compressing the sciatic nerve could include:
- A narrowed joint space, such as what happens with lumbar spinal stenosis or spondylolisthesis
- A bony cyst
- A herniated disc
- A bulging disc
- A degenerated disc
- Rarely, a tumor or infection in the spine
Sometimes, it's not clear what's causing sciatic nerve compression. For instance, a person's spine may look perfectly normal on X-ray or MRI imaging. Fortunately, even these cases of sciatica tend to get better with chiropractic care.
Signs and Symptoms of Sciatica
Your sciatic nerve is a major information highway for your legs. After it exits the spinal cord, the sciatic nerve branches off into several smaller nerves that transmit motor and sensory information to and from the legs. When something irritates or compresses one of these nerve endings, we typically see signs and symptoms in one leg, including:
- Radiating, shooting, burning, stabbing, dull, or achy pain
- Numbness and tingling
A person with sciatica may also experience lower back pain and stiffness. Depending on factors like stress level, sleep quality, movement, or even time of day, the sciatica pain you feel can get better or worse.
Sometimes, these symptoms eventually go away on their own. But if the underlying cause of your sciatica symptoms isn't addressed, you're at risk of recurrence.
How Our Pensacola Chiropractor Treats Sciatica
For over 16 years, Dr. Jason Stern has helped individuals living with sciatica find fast, long-lasting relief from their pain. Here are some effective sciatica treatments you might experience when you come see our Pensacola chiropractor for help:
- Non-surgical decompression and spinal traction gently relieves pressure on the compressed nerve
- Non-invasive modalities like ultrasound, laser therapy, and electrical stimulation alleviate pain and promote healing
- Spinal adjustments optimize spinal alignment and trigger natural pain relief
- Corrective exercises and postural education help you move more safely
Is Sciatica Pain Bothering You?
Contact Stern Chiropractic Clinic now at (850)435-9200 to schedule a consultation with your Pensacola chiropractor.